Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 16

Today was a pretty good day even though Mom wasn't able to get out of bed again due to the central line in her shoulder bleeding. . . .still. She had a 5 pound bag of sand on her shoulder for most of the day which wasn't very comfortable. At around 6:30 or so the doctor who finally decided to make the move and put in the stitch that had been needed since last week came in and put it in. I ask him if the stitch had a money a money back guarantee and he laughed and said "No, this is pro-bono (yeah right)", so I ask if I could at least have a coke back guarantee and he just looked at me. Doctors seem to have NO sense of humor. Anyway, this week I learned a lot about being a nursing assistant. I organized all of the supplies Mom had in her room because there was so much stuff (nurses are busy I understand but they can leave a room looking like a hurricane has blown through) and they wouldn't look to see what they already had, they would just get more. Can you say cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching? Anyway, I organized because, well I couldn't stand the mess. It was so bad that I wasn't even able to but my luggage in the storage space because of the STUFF. So, when the nurses would come in and say they needed something I would tell them to wait, let me look in our supply and see if we have it. Well, wouldn't you know, we got rid of a lot of stuff just today because it could be found. She has four bottles of eye drops. . . .the same exact eye drops. So it got to where they would just ask me for whatever they needed without having to be reminded. Even the no sense of humor doctor ask his assistant for something and I told him wait, I should have one right here and I did. Yeah me! Ok, that is enough patting myself on the back, I think I hurt my arm!!! Anyway we had great nurses so far this week as we have had most of the time. One more thing about doctors. . . . .as you know, Mom is in contact isolation (still. . . . .for 3 months. . . .I hate those stupid gowns (at least they don't make us wear the gloves and masks all the time) ANYWAY you would not believe how many docs just walk into the room without reading the 4 (four) signs posted on her door telling them that they need to gown up. I think that is funny. They will walk in and look at you and say "Oh, do I need a gown?" I want to say. . ."No, this is just the new fashion statement and I am wearing it because I am so very much into the latest trends" but I am nice and just nod my head and bite my tongue.

Mom hasn't gone to dialysis this week because her kidney is working, it is a long way from being 100 % but the doctor said it was holding steady. They considered taking out the above mentioned CVC line that was put in for long term dialysis because they still don't know if she will need it.

Mom is getting her appetite back (thank heavens), she woke up hungry and had two eggs, sausage and a biscuit. For lunch chicken enchiladas and rice (huge plate, we both could have eaten off of it and still had left overs) and for supper an ice cream sandwich and fruit cocktail.

Dad is with her for the rest of the week so he won't have to worry about this cold weather we are bracing ourselves for! Wish we had a chance for snow with all the cold. . . . . . .

If all goes as originally said, Mom should be free from prison, I mean the hospital in 14 FOURTEEN days. She and we and well, everyone is ready for that. Please pray that it does happen.

Sorry this is so long and rambly, I am feeling wordy!

0 comments: