Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Beginning

Mom went into the hospital on July 6th with a blood clot in her leg. On Wednesday we were told that she had leukemia and that we would be going to MD Anderson on Friday. This came a huge shock to us because my mom is hardly ever sick and she is such a strong woman (you have to be if you run a farm single handed). She was discharged on Thursday afternoon and she and my dad headed to Houston because her appointment was at 7:00 am the next morning. Later Thursday evening, my sisters and I headed there ourselves. Friday was a long day which unfortunately for my mom included another bone marrow aspiration (?) which are very painful. Leukemia was confirmed but the strain is still not 100 % sure but they are thinking that it is Acute Myeloid Leukemia or AML. She will be in isolation for 28 to 30 days while receiving treatment. We are waiting to see how visitation will be. We know that there can be visitors and you will have to put on a gown, mask, hair cap, and gloves before going in. She was given a list of meds that she would have to take in addition to the blood thinners that she gives herself. One of those is oral chemo which she began on Saturday. We finished up at the hospital on Friday at about 3:00 or so and my dad and I got finished (well almost) at the pharmacy at about 6:15 after being there since 4:40 waiting on her meds. Dad ended up having to get the chemo on Saturday. Saturday morning we got up and headed home. We stopped at ate breakfast/lunch at IHOP. The girls and I stopped at the VF Factory to get mom some more lounge clothes and/or sleepwear for her hospital stay. We worked on getting some loose ends wrapped up, my middle sis headed back to her family for a few days and we all hoped to get a good nights sleep. The last thing didn't happen for at least two of us!

This morning we all went to church, parted ways for lunch and met back up at my parents home (travel trailer because if you read my blog, you know that they are moved out of their house while the foundation was being fixed). We got all of her stuff together and got them on the road. It was really hard to say good bye. They got to their hotel and will start out tomorrow at 8:15 with more tests and to find out when she will be admitted. It will be Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

This blog will be written by myself, Giggles and my two sisters (they will have to tell you who they are when they are writing). We hope that we can keep you up to date on our mom and dad and that whenever you read this, you will say a prayer for mom (and us).

Hope you have a good night.

3 comments:

Vickie Young-Thomas said...

I like the explanation behind your title! Sounds like your family has so many wonderful memories, as does ours. Ahh, those family vacations! Please know we will be following your journey and want to support you along the way. Whatever we can do, please do not hesitate to ask! Love you all!
Steve & Vickie

Anonymous said...

Tammy you and your family are so special to me even though I don't get to see you that often anymore. I have such wonderful memories of going to school with Rae and working at Air Care with both of you....and your dad is the greatest man and teacher in the world! I have been praying for your mom and the rest of the family since you posted it on FB. I will be checking your blogs often to follow up...I will also pray for peace and strenght through this difficult time. If I can help in any other way please let me know! Take care and hang in there.
~Felicia

Jennifer said...

I hope blogging your way along this journal will prove to be helpful...I am sure there are many mixed days ahead and it will be nice to have an "outlet". It is also nice to know how to pray specifically for you, your mom and your family! I will be following along to see God's hand at work all along the journey....thanks for sharing!